Indirect Tax Counsel Internship (Summer 2023)
Indirect Tax Counsel Internship (Summer 2023)
What to Expect
This remote position is expected to start May or June 2023 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e., through August) or into early Fall 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, 30 hours a week, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. The year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. The team is dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the Team
Tesla Indirect Tax Counsel is deeply ingrained in the functional areas of the business and partners heavily with the leadership team on critical decisions. Team members are expected not only to have the skills to analyze data and surface takeaways/recommendations but must also lead cross-functional decision-making processes and communicate recommendations to leaders at all levels in the company.
Through the intern program, we are looking to find the next wave of talent to drive these efforts. The Role Tesla Indirect Tax Counsel advises the business on complex state and federal indirect tax issues across the automotive and energy markets, including: nexus, characterization, taxability, refunds, policy, sourcing, accruals, controversy and audits, credits and incentives, exemptions, compliance processes, exposure remediation, emerging markets, corporate structure, cross-border and interstate commerce, intercompany transfers, government relations, and contract review. The Tesla Indirect Tax Counsel Intern will support Tesla’s transactional tax team across all matters with a focus on cost-saving initiatives and retroactive capture of exemptions.
What You’ll Do
· Lead indirect tax controversy matters in the United States and Canada, including managing multiple audits, drafting responses to tax authorities, gathering and evaluating information from various departments, researching and analyzing tax law, and drafting legal memorandums and briefs.
· Strategically partner with cross-functional teams, including Tax, Trade/Customs, Legal, Finance/Accounting/Treasury, Payroll, and IT, in order to assess audit/litigation risk and establish company tax positions.
· Support the business from an advisory perspective with respect to new products and markets, legislative changes, tax policy initiatives, and process improvements.
What You’ll Bring
· Interest in complex transactional matters, across several different industries, at one of the most influential companies in the world.
· Exposure to tax experience with a law firm, accounting firm, corporate legal department, and/or academic program.
· Current 2L or 3L student
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Self-starter who can organize, prioritize, and manage urgent and competing deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
· Friendly and respectful individual who can build and maintain strong working relationships both internally and externally.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and research platforms, including Thomas Reuters Checkpoint or Bloomberg Tax.
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Your application has been successfully submitted.