This job is no longer accepting applications.
Remote Engineering Manager
We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
A little about the current Risk organization: we’re a tight-knit group of builders with expertise across various technologies (Ruby, Go, React Native) & immense domain expertise in the fraud prevention space. We #liveCrypto and #breatheRisk. We care deeply about our tools & engineering practices - we’ve built out modern React frontends, have continuous integration with multiple daily deployments, and are decomposing our rails API backend into smaller, encapsulated services. More importantly we care a lot about our customers/internal stakeholders and keeping them safe by building the most trusted crypto platform.
This is where you come in - we’re hiring an engineering leader to drive our Risk platform efforts, with a primary focus on building decisioning infrastructure and common components. You’ll work with our technical engineering leaders to create the multi-year roadmap for making engineering & platform development at Coinbase a joy. To help drive this roadmap, you’ll embed with our product teams and listen to their customer needs, working together to accelerate their efforts. If you’re passionate about the crypto economy, hard engineering problems, and enabling product teams to build great user experiences, this is the place to be.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Implement the multi-year strategy for Risk engineering with the technical leadership on your team
- Coach your direct reports to have a positive impact on the organization and chart a fulfilling career path.
- Be a thoughtful technical voice and support your team in making diligent architectural decisions.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Work with our talent organization to source and hire amazing engineers who will expand the Coinbase culture and product.
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
- Contribute to owning and delivering processes to drive engineering quality and meet our engineering SLAs.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- At least 10 years of experience in software engineering.
- At least 2 years of engineering management experience.
- Comfortable managing engineers working across frontend and backend technologies
- You have designed, built, and scaled production applications
- You know what high quality code — and software engineering processes — look like and know how to foster an environment that creates them.
- You’re passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
Nice to haves:
- You’ve built financial, high reliability or security systems.
- You’ve some exposure to online fraud prevention systems or built them in the past.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Your application has been successfully submitted.