Staff Data Scientist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Staff Data Scientist
Location: Americas or EMEA. UTC/GMT -5 to UTC/GMT+3
Our fully remote, distributed environment enables us to work with awesome people from around the world. Our team members work from 38 different countries. We generally hire based on timezones and try to keep teams together by making sure that every Zapien overlaps with their manager & teammates for at least a few hours a day.
We're looking for a Staff Data Scientist to join the Data Science Enrichment team at Zapier.
Data Science Enrichment is responsible for catalyzing our data science capabilities by empowering data scientists and business stakeholders through owning our experimentation and data science platforms. It is a central team focused on developing Zapier’s experimentation platform capabilities, core Data Science tooling, and ML enrichment (technical mentorship, assistance on scale and optimization) across our Data Insights teams.
If you’re interested in advancing your career at a fast-growing, profitable, impact-driven company, then read on…
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You communicate complex technical topics clearly and in an approachable way.
- You have hands-on experience in defining and analyzing large, complex datasets, finding actionable business solutions to loosely defined revenue and operations problems.
- You have proven stakeholder management expertise. As a collaborative thought partner, you're gifted at explaining your findings clearly to a non-technical audience.
- You’re technically competent with relevant analytics tools (e.g. Python or R), including at least one SQL dialect - they’re all about the same; we happen to use Redshift.
- You have deep expertise in designing and analyzing rigorous experiments of varying degrees of complexity. This includes mastery of A/B test design, optionally including academic experiments as well.
- You combine your strong business acumen with statistical expertise (e.g. confidence intervals, regression modelling, significance testing). This includes demonstrated experience with generalized linear models, other regression methods, causal inference, and design of experiment as well as common machine learning techniques (e.g. predictive modelling, time series modelling, classification, and clustering techniques).
- You care about the details and understand that without high-quality instrumentation, we cannot drive high-quality, impactful insights.
- You enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing. You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of statistical knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You understand that perfect is the enemy of good. You will default to action by initially shipping solutions that simply work and work simply while iterating as needed.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll get experience on many different projects to support our stakeholders. Here are some things you might get to help our teams with:
- Improve our Experimentation Platform by leading change on tooling, infrastructure and design, expanding its use cases beyond traditional A/B testing, owning documentation and advocating usage among technical and non technical stakeholders.
- Assist multiple data teams on advanced Experimentation and Machine Learning projects.
- Automate and sync metric definitions between our data warehouse and various systems and tools.
- Be a systems thinker: ensure all data teams have the best tools and processes in place to serve our stakeholders and derive value from data.
- Develop data literacy programs and provide easy-to-use tools with clear documentation, examples, and tutorials.
- Perform basic ETL tasks to model new dimensions and facts in our data warehouse’s dimensional model. For the heavier lifts, you’ll be supported by Data Warehouse Engineering colleagues.
- Tools you’ll probably use include AWS Redshift, SQL, Looker, dbt, Databricks, Airflow, Eppo, and Python or R.
Zapier Compensation Guiding Principles
We believe all Zapiens should be rewarded competitively and equitably, using practices that are simple and transparent. This philosophy ensures we are able to find, grow, and retain exceptional people from a broad range of backgrounds. Here’s how we define our compensation principles:
- Competitive: Zapier pays well among the technology sector.
- Equitable: Consistent pay practices; competency-based pay.
- Simple: Pay is well understood, and pay practices are built for scale.
- Transparent: Zapiens know how pay works, including how their pay is determined.
The pay ranges for this role are:
USA: 167,400 - 251,000 USD
Canada: 167,400 - 251,000 CAD
UK : 105,200 - 157,800 GBP
A Candidate's compensation package is finalized once the interview process is concluded and accounts for experience, competencies (job knowledge, skills and abilities) and internal equity.
For more information on Zapier’s Total Rewards please click here.
How to Apply
At Zapier, we believe that diverse perspectives and experiences make us better, which is why we have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We're looking for the best fit for each of our roles, regardless of the type of education or companies in your background, so we encourage you to apply even if your skills and experiences don’t exactly match the job description. All we ask is that you answer a few in-depth questions in our application that would typically be asked at the start of an interview process. This helps speed things up by letting us get to know you and your skillset a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to never go more than seven days without letting you know the status of your application. We know we’ll make mistakes from time to time, so if you ever have questions about where you stand or about the process, just ask your recruiter!
Zapier is an equal-opportunity employer and we're excited to work with talented and empathetic people of all identities. Zapier does not discriminate based on someone's identity in any aspect of hiring or employment as required by law and in line with our commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging and Equity. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Zapier is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will work to provide reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.