Manager, Technical Writing
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Manager, Technical Writing
Zapier’s on a mission to make everyone more productive at work. Our product has helped millions of people build businesses through the power of automation. As Zapier continues to scale our mission to democratize automation, we’re hiring a Technical Writing Manager.
The Technical Writing team owns all internal and external product documentation and its mission is to help Zapier customers achieve their goals independently. As a Technical Writing Manager you’ll be responsible for leading a team that sources, creates, and maintains help documentation for our product. For this role, we are looking for individuals with experience growing a documentation team, strong written communication skills and a deep understanding of and empathy for our users.
Location: Due to the geographical spread of the team and closest business partners, we will be considering candidates based in UTC-6 (CST) to UTC-3 time zones for this role.
If you’re interested in advancing your career at a fast-growing, profitable, impact-driven company, then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you meet these criteria:
- This isn’t your first rodeo. You have experience growing a team of technical writers and collaborating closely with Product, including building a strategy and process around product documentation.
- You’re a systems thinker. You will drive the process for creating and maintaining content across many teams. You’ll need to use systematic thinking to connect the work of other parts of the company to your team. You have strong project management experience.
- You’re an excellent writer and editor. You have exceptional written communication skills and have built a wide variety of engaging textual content. You know how to make complex topics seem simple.
- Deep customer empathy. You seek to understand users and find ways to make complex topics easy and engaging.
- Build relationships with stakeholders. You believe relationships are critical to success. You are able to quickly build relationships with cross-functional partners. You quickly build credibility and trust with your collaborators and direct reports, and see your role as a mentor, coach, advocate and sponsor.
- Establishing the vision for the team. You communicate the vision for your team and then make it happen. You work with leadership to refine your team’s vision and set a 12 month roadmap for how you'll solve those problems. You know how to turn vision into goals, goals into a roadmap, and a roadmap into daily and weekly tasks for your team.
- Team Builder. You are able to build up and motivate people and teams. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive team. You understand that leading a team is about coaching and mentoring people, growing their capabilities, and helping to create the environment for the team to be successful. You connect your team's work back to objectives the management team cares about, helping the team to understand the importance of their work.
Things you’ll do
- Lead a team of technical writers, supporting and enabling them to deliver impactful work for the organization. Build rapport with each member of the team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Manage overall strategy, standards, and best practices for product documentation.
- Drive definition, implementation, and improvement of our product documentation practices.
- Make proactive, data-driven content decisions to improve the helpfulness of individual articles in our Help Center and other help documentation.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress in ways that are easy and enjoyable to receive, like one-on-one's, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
Zapier Compensation Guiding Principles
We believe all Zapiens should be rewarded competitively and equitably, using practices that are simple and transparent. This philosophy ensures we’re able to find, grow, and retain exceptional people from a broad range of backgrounds. Here’s how we define our compensation principles:
- Competitive: Zapier pays well among the technology sector.
- Equitable: Consistent pay practices; competency-based pay.
- Simple: Pay is well understood, and pay practices are built for scale.
- Transparent: Zapiens know how pay works, including how their pay is determined.
The pay ranges for this role are:
- USA: $125,800 - $157,200 - $188,600 USD
- Canada: $125,800 - $157,200 - $188,600 CAD
A Candidate's compensation package is finalized once the interview process is concluded and accounts for experience, competencies (job knowledge, skills and abilities) and internal equity.
For more information on Zapier’s Total Rewards please click here.
How to Apply
At Zapier, we believe that diverse perspectives and experiences make us better, which is why we have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We are looking for the best fit for each of our roles, regardless of the type of education or companies in your background, so we encourage you to apply even if your skills and experiences don’t exactly match the job description. All we ask is that you answer a few in-depth questions in our application that would typically be asked at the start of an interview process. This helps speed things up by letting us get to know you and your skillset a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to never go more than seven days without letting you know the status of your application. We know we’ll make mistakes from time to time, so if you ever have questions about where you stand or about the process, just ask your recruiter!
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer and we're excited to work with talented and empathetic people of all identities. Zapier does not discriminate based on someone's identity in any aspect of hiring or employment as required by law and in line with our commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging and Equity. protected by local law. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Zapier is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will work to provide reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.