Underwriting Specialist, Government, Public Entity
Responsible for developing, growing, and maintaining a profitable, diversified book of Public Entity Government business through marketing, underwriting decision making, building mutually beneficial agent/brokers relationships and establishing a marker-facing leadership presence, and application of underwriting tools, systems, and expert resources. Guides/mentors less experienced underwriters in their respective area of expertise, including regular employee coaching with feedback to the manager on progress of the employee. Participates in project and corporate initiatives as a subject matter expert and closely collaborates with internal partners. Responsible for handling multi-line business including professional liability.
This role could be offered remote in the posted territories.
- Risk Selection: Reviews, rates, underwrites, evaluates, or assesses the business applying for insurance by qualifying accounts, identifying, selecting and assessing risks, determining the premium, policy terms and conditions, obtaining approvals, creating/presenting the proposal to the agent/broker, and successfully negotiating deals.
- Agent/Broker Relationships: Demonstrates a high level of responsiveness and focus on supporting Agents and Brokers objectives.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains successful relationships with Agents and Brokers to facilitate marketing of products, through responsive service, site visits, in person renewal meetings or enhanced knowledge of their customers businesses.
- Develops strong personal brand to build and maintain a long-term quality pipeline with Agents/Brokers.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share by attending and making marketing calls to brokers to market and cross market.
- Documenting the Deal: Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process and decision making through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals that comply with state regulations, letter of authority, and underwriting guidelines.
- Leadership: Formally and informally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters and account analysts in both technical and professional skills.
- Continuous Improvement: Actively participates in continuous improvement by generating suggestions, participating in problem solving activities and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
- Intermediate-level knowledge of insurance products/coverage, knowledge of underwriting, pricing, risk selection, market segments and marketplace; insurance finance and actuarial concepts; loss control/risk engineering; marketing techniques, regulatory environment and reinsurance; advanced-level knowledge of territory management.
- Ability to apply underwriting/appetite, tools, systems, and resources to achieve goals, solve complex problems, establish and build healthy working relationships, participate in mentoring relationships, and negotiate as normally acquired a related bachelor’s degree, four to seven years of relevant experience preferred; CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred.
Our compensation programs are designed to deliver above-market pay if you perform well, and significantly above that for exceptional performance over time. Virtually every employee is eligible for some type of variable incentive pay in addition to his or her base pay.
Flexible Work Arrangements
We understand the role work-life balance plays in your ability to stay energized and engaged. So we place an emphasis on regular hours, flex scheduling, and generous time off through paid holidays, vacation days, and more.
Top-Notch Retirement Plans
Our pension plan provides a monthly credit equal to 5% of your eligible compensation. You can also participate in our 401(k) plan, which offers a guaranteed match of $0.50 for every $1 you contribute, up to 8% of your eligible pay.
From regular coaching planning, to paid training, licensing, and 100% tuition reimbursement for approved courses, we’re dedicated to your continued growth, because we know it leads to continued success.
Health & Wellness
You’ll have access to comprehensive health, dental, and vision coverage, as well as a host of other insurance and wellness benefits—including progressive parental benefits and support.
Primary Location: Charlotte, NC
Additional Locations: Remote
Your application has been successfully submitted.